Crazy vegetarian restaurant in Beijing

I just got back from a business trip to China.  It was my first time there. While there, we were invited to a dinner.  Anyway, one of the guys here from the US is vegetarian and so they took us to this totally crazy vegetarian restaurant- the kind where they try to recreate real meat dishes.  The (male) waiters had metallic tunics on with pearl necklaces.  We were in a private room and my chair was connected to the person next to me so every time he'd move back, I'd get moved too.  They had this elaborate table setting with lotus leaves under plates and these super long menus that were like glossy magazines insides with menu items with names like "the person who loved me but got away".


I got a pineapple lemonade which was about the most pedestrian drink they had.  They first brought out containers that looked like glass vases that you might put candies in.  They were filled with picked carrots and something else.  Then came seaweed cones filled with veggies (pretty tasty), then "sushi" on ice with dry ice and flowers for effect. 


A few things came after that (a small slice of BBQ "chicken"? and something else) at which point I was full and though "that was a fun meal".  Well, then came the mushrooms, then the "steak" course, a "mouthwash", then the vegetable couse (as themselves, not masquerading as anything else), then soup!  I barely ate anything after the steak.    Dessert was watermelon.  I was a little disappointed that course wasn't more dramatic but glad the food had come to an end! 

1 Response to "Crazy vegetarian restaurant in Beijing"

  1. Joe Volk Says:

    Kir, I've had that experience of thinking the meal was done and learning that many courses were yet to come. First time was in Damascus about 1979. I filled up on olives, pita, and hummous. Thought what a great meal. Then came the fish, the meat, the veggies, and the dessert. Then, in Beijing in 1984, we had a banquet at the Great Hall of the People. Made the same mistake. Your photos of the veggie dishes are great.
    Dad

Post a Comment